Tuesday, October 5, 2010

clouds came tumbling down

Oh man, I feel like I’ve done so much stuff since the last update. But a lot of what I’ve done looks boring and flat when it’s printed on a page… or illuminated on a screen. There’s been a lot of fun conversations, chill hang outs and movie marathons. It’s nice to be able to just chill out with everyone; we don’t get to do it that often. Whenever we get together, it’s so much work and we always have a plan and have something to do or experience. I’ve missed just hanging out with friends, so it’s been really good to be able to do that.

But I have done some pretty cool stuff. Last weekend, a bunch of us went to Featherdale Wildlife Park, which is pretty much a petting zoo with kangaroos. Yes. Petting kangaroos. And wombats, and wallabies, and emus, and koalas, and dingoes and other assorted Australian animals. I feel like it’s just one of those things I had to do while I’m here. How can I come back to the states and say, “No, I went all the way to Australia and didn’t touch a koala.” Unavoidable. But it was great fun.

Then this Monday was Labour Day, alright! Long weekend! Saturday there was a jazz festival in Manly that we went to, and it was great even though we didn’t listen to much music. Manly is beautiful, definitely one of my favorite spots. If I lived in Sydney, I would want to live in Manly. We went exploring along the beach and came to an amazing lookout on a bluff, and right when we got there it started pouring rain and the wind blew the water off the ocean right into our faces. It was a crazy couple of minutes yelling and running around and really having great fun.

Today, we had an optional class where we went back to Manly for a tour of the Quarantine Station. Ships of immigrants stopped there before coming into Australia and if there were contagious diseases onboard, they were all stopped and had to stay in Manly for 40 days. It was just so interesting to hear about the history of the place, and I feel like writing it all here would be ultra boring. Because even though I loved hearing about it and seeing all the buildings, it would turn into a lame history textbook here. Ghost Hunters International did a show there, staying in the mortuary and trying to find ghosts. Guess what, they found them. My friend and I were talking about going back on Halloween, and try to find some ghosts.

In other news, I made an Australian To-Do List, full of things I want to do and places I want to go before my time’s up here. And it is a pretty hefty list. I’m slowly crossing things off, but definitely looking forward to completing it.
Okay, sorry this blog seems a little lame. Most of what I’ve been doing lately is homework, which is even lamer. It’s just that time of the semester when everything is due soon. If I thought it was hard to be focused on homework in Upland, Indiana, it is a thousand times harder in Sydney, Australia. But just a few weeks, and all my major assignments will be done with and it will be time for more fun.

current song: Landed by Ben Folds

No comments:

Post a Comment