Saturday, September 25, 2010

longing for the view behind the fence

I love stories. I think stories are my favorite things in the world.

I love spending hours with books, and getting lost in someone else’s imagination. I’m a firm believer that you can’t like a book if you’ve only read it once. I even like books I hate, because at least they made me have an opinion on them.

But really, my favorite thing is sitting with friends and family, and listening to them tell their stories and adventures. And it’s pretty safe to say that I know and am related to some of the most interesting people in the world, and their stories are the best I’ve ever heard. And I wish they were mine.

There comes a point where I’m tired of listening and want to do some talking. And when that time comes, I don’t have much to say.

Maybe you’re one of those people that always have stories to tell. But maybe you’re like me and haven’t had many adventures yet. But I decided to change that.

So I came to Australia for life-changing experiences.

And it frustrates me that there are people here content to have a normal semester. It’s like they came for the photo ops, and don’t want anything else. But I don’t want to be like that. I want more than a profile picture with a koala. I want experiences. I want stories. I want drama. I want my exploits here to require courage. I want people to hear my stories and be affected like other people’s stories have affected me.

I want adventures.

But adventures don’t just happen to you. Dwarves don’t knock on your door and invite you on a journey. You don’t come home to a tollbooth waiting in your room. People don’t break down your door and tell you you’re a wizard.

I’ve come to realize, or maybe come to accept, you have to make your own adventures sometimes. And I feel like I haven’t done much about that. I’m sitting around, waiting for the wardrobe I’ve opened a thousand times before to suddenly lead somewhere new. And I’ve finally gotten tired of it. I am going to have adventures, and if I have to I’m going to make them myself. That’s what I want to do.

I’m halfway in. I’ve gotten comfortable. Now I want to get crazy. I want this half of the semester to look different.

I don’t really know how to go about creating adventures, so I’m just going to wing it.

Here’s hoping this blog will get a lot more interesting soon.

current song: Memories & Dust by Josh Pyke

1 comment:

  1. emily. dude. you're an incredible writer. just put this on your resume to relevant and you're in.

    ReplyDelete