Friday, August 13, 2010

tell me where all the days have gone

I touched a sea urchin AND I ate kangaroo. So many events in my life.

Some of us Americans went to the Sydney Aquarium Wednesday afternoon, and it was all kinds of cool. I saw a PLATYPUS in real life for the first time. It’s probably one of the weirdest animals on the planet. There were dugongs, which I don’t know how they’re different than manatees. Except they’re like, 4 times bigger. There was this shallow pool full of stuff you could touch, and that's where I petted my first sea urchin. And there were a ton of sharks. I think that may have been my favorite. There were 2 huge tanks of fish/sting rays/sharks/dugongs with tunnels underneath so you could walk around and look up and see everything swimming over top of you. And then for the grand finale there was this gigantic tank where you walked through a TUNNEL and saw fish on all sides and above and below. It was definitely cool. It’s really hard to not go to a place like that and think about how creative God is.

After that, we met more people at a pub in The Rocks for some good old-fashioned kangaroo pizza. Seriously. It was so good. Definitely made the Top Three Best Pizzas Emily Luttrull Has Ever Eaten list. Everyone describes kangaroo meat as ‘gamey’ and ‘deer-like,’ but the only time I remember having deer was in spaghetti form, so I can’t really confirm that. It was kind of tough and kind of delicious. A lot delicious.

Thursday I went to camp! Wesley (which is the school I go to here. Have I said that? Wesley Institute is a really small arts school, and they teach dancing, drama, graphic design, or theology. It’s super small, like 400 students small, but a really great place) puts on a spiritual-renewal-retreat every year. All the Americans with a good number of Australian students went out to a camp to do sessions, worship and fellowship. It was a great time. To be honest, the sessions were a little… lacking. But the worship was phenomenal, some of the best I’ve experienced. And we broke into small groups and created skits to perform for everyone. Not to brag, but I probably should mention that my group won first place with our sequel producing movie company skit. It was so much fun putting it together with everyone.

About now is the time I should start working on papers and assignments and everything else. But it’s so hard to get motivated, because I’m totally still in summer mode. And I’m in Sydney, Australia and homework is the last thing I want to experience in my free time. But hey, if I get it all done now there’ll be time for the beaches when it’s warm, right?

current song: Mistress Mabel by The Fratellis

2 comments:

  1. this is my favorite blog that i read. I like the current song updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kangaroo pizza, eh? Third best to Pizza Chef pepperoni and Pizza Chef supreme, right?

    ReplyDelete