Tuesday, August 10, 2010

take the sun off the shelf

Aaaugh, I feel like there have been so many happenings, but actually not really.

I’m starting to get into the swing of things, I think. I’m still into a lot of the touristy things here, and I really want to buy a stuffed kangaroo. I’m glad one of our required classes does stuff like that and takes us on harbor cruises, because it gives me an excuse to do those things without being a total square.

Friday we did a ‘Tribal Warrior’ harbor cruise, where we sailed around Sydney Harbor with the tour guide pointing out historical Aboriginal places. Then we landed on a tiny island and learned some more about the indigenous cultures before having an Aboriginal dance party. Pretty good stuff.

On Saturday I experienced my first, live Australian Football League game. And it is now probably my favorite sport. It is SO crazy, and SO fast, and I had no idea what was happening most of the time. It was great. So many things going on all over the place. Like my cousin Andrew said, it looks like all the players on the field are following a bunch of complex rules. But they aren’t. They’re just running around. It’s kind of like a cross between NFL, Rugby, and Quidditch. But you can punch the ball like a volleyball. And it’s played in an oval. There seriously is no other sport like it.

Sunday was a great day full of family. Just a brief explanation to anyone reading this who isn’t related to me: my second-cousin Andrew lives in Sydney with his wife Kate. Kate has 2 brothers, Paul and Mark. Mark is married to Emily and they have baby Josiah. Emily has a brother Michael. Jeff also is in Sydney, but he’s Andrew’s friend from school. And Andrew’s parents are Jim and Debbie. So on Sunday, EVERYONE got together for a picnic by the wharf in Manly. It was such a beautiful day, and Manly has pretty much the best beaches I’ve ever seen. After lunch, some of us walked around Manly and the shops there before going to church that night.

I really love the church I’ve been going to. Andrew and Kate and Jeff have been going there, and I tagged along last week, but I think I’ll keep up my attendance. The service we go to is pretty small, so the community is really great. I’d love to get to know people there better, and maybe join a small group. Also, they usually have dinner every night after the service. So it’s like a bonus. And the pastor is an Australian version of my brother. For reals. I wish I could show a video comparison. Maybe I can sneak one next week.

Classes are finally all figured out and I think I am really happy with the ones I am officially in. There was a lot of adding and dropping and adding classes. But it’s good. I really like my Rise of Early Christianity class; the professor is pretty great. And I think I’m really going to like Faith and the Contemporary Artist. And since everyone wants to know how Hip Hop dancing is going, it’s going. Ha. We just learned the Roger Rabbit and the running man before going into stepping and locking. I pretty much am not good at them, but I think I’m getting better. I hope I’m getting better. So by the time I’ll come home you’ll probably see me on So You Think You Can Dance.

Also, I’ve just been so thankful for all my friends (and family) back home who are so encouraging and great. I seriously know the best people in the whole world, and am even related to some of them. So thanks so so soooo much everyone for being awesome.

current song: Gloomy by Matt Costa

No comments:

Post a Comment