Sunday, July 25, 2010

so what's the word

WRITTEN FRIDAY JULY 23:

Oh man. I don’t know where to begin.

Well, I’m in Sydney. It’s still hard to believe that I’m here. Even standing next to the Sydney Opera House it doesn’t feel real. I can even see the skyline from my bedroom window. But it’s still too crazy to believe.

We’ve been kept really busy since we’ve gotten here. Like, every minute of the day. We’ve done so much it feels like we’ve been here weeks instead of a few days. There’s a lot of orientation to get through, stuff on safety, classes, grades, money, everything you can think of. It’s exciting to hear about everything we’ll get to do but it’s starting to make me restless. Like, I want to stop hearing about the friends we’ll make and trip we’ll go on and just do it. At the same time, it’s been a little intimidating. There’s so much talk about being uncomfortable and being challenged. And I know that’s what I signed up for. And I appreciate that they aren’t trying to sugar coat the experience. But still. Also there’s so many things to worry about. Exchanging money, getting phones, keeping up with classes, spending enough time with our homestay, getting to know Australians, getting to know our group, doing service placements, trying to figure out the bus system. It’ll be hard getting used to all the differences and trying to keep up, but I’m really excited for like, a month from now when I’ll know what I’m doing and will be able to really enjoy the city.

Yesterday our group went into the city for a scavenger hunt and got to roam all over Sydney. Seeing the sights without really being tourists, although we did go on a sunset harbor cruise. It was really incredible. Everything I’m trying to describe sounds so boring when it’s written out. It’s like the word ‘incredible’ written down is just bland, and I can’t help but read it in a weird, monotone-Ben-Stein voice that makes anything sound boring. And maybe that’s because I’m still battling jet lag and can’t stay focused in orientation, let alone describe the crazy amazing experience walking around Circular Quay was. You’ll just have to take my word for it and see my pictures later.
current song: The East Coast by The Daredevil Christopher Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment