Friday, November 12, 2010

and are we there yet?

Well, today is my last day in Australia.

It doesn't even feel real. It's still hard to believe I'm actually here, let alone that I won't be tomorrow.

I suddenly got cold feet. I'm not ready to leave yet. Four months isn't enough time.

This past week was the best that anyone could hope for. It was hot and sunny, and I went to the beach every day. I thought my last week would be about trying to jam-pack it full of things I hadn't done yet. But I found that all I really wanted to do was be with friends and family. Things like going out to breakfast, or participating in a Harry Potter marathon, or walking around the beach became highlights of my whole trip.

I don't want to leave this.

But I do at the same time. Four months is too short to be in Australia, but it's a long time to be away from home. Not just like, home-where-my-house-is-home. But home like, home-where-my-family-is and home-where-my-friends-are and home-where-my-country-is.

This is the most bittersweet experience of my life. Both ends are so extreme.

But first I'm taking the Ring to Mordor going to New Zealand. See you guys after I battle some Ringwraiths, fight off a giant spider and climb Mount Doom.

current song: Are We There Yet by Ingrid Michaelson

No comments:

Post a Comment